The salinity activity will give students the opportunity to use either a homemade or commercial meter to measure the conductivity of water samples. Students will learn about salts and determine concentrations of salts in solutions.
- The experiment will be developed based on versions that have been extensively used in Portugal, South Africa and Australia.
- Ionic compounds and their solubility form an important part of the curriculum in both junior and senior high school and the ideas are frequently applied to class environmental studies. Salts are commonly introduced in primary school as a class of substances without elaboration of their chemical nature.
- Ancillary activities to the salinity measurements will be provided to help teachers develop student’s understanding of the underlying chemical concepts.
- A balance for the dissolved solid measurement;
- Either a home-made or commercial conductivity meters; and
- Instructions will be required for each class.
Download the activity: